REAL Macaroni and Cheese is one of my all time favorite foods! But the fact that it exists in a box is so confusing to me. If you’re taking the time to cook noodles, why cover them in a mere derivative of cheese? Before you call me a food snob (it’s already been done!), read on and see that real macaroni and cheese can be made with little more than those two ingredients–and in a hurry!
Homemade Easy Mac in 2 Minutes
Yield: 1 serving Estimated time: 2 minutes
Notes: I like to cook macaroni each week and keep it stored in my refrigerator. It’s a fast way to kick start many kid-friendly dinners. My favorite protein pasta is Barilla Protein Plus pasta. The Barilla Veggie Rotini is also EXCELLENT for making this dish healthier. My gluten free friends tell me that this Barilla pasta is their best option. If you prefer no grains in your pasta, try using veggie noodles. I adore making noodles from veggies for a one-dish meal.
- 1 C. Cooked macaroni pasta, or veggie noodles
- 1 oz. Shredded or thinly sliced cheese (gouda and sharp cheddar are two of my favorites) OR 1/4 C. of vegan cheese (FABULOUS recipe here)
- 1 T. Whole milk OR Heavy cream OR unsweetened nut/non-dairy milk
- Sprinkle of salt
- Optional: Tiniest sprinkles of nutmeg, dry mustard, and cayenne pepper. These spices are used to create the classic baked macaroni and cheese flavor. Most kids won’t miss the spices if you prepare this for them, so don’t stress if you don’t have them.
- Place the pasta into microwave safe bowl and top with shredded cheese.
- Add in milk/cream, salt and optional spices.
- Microwave on 70% power for about 1-1 1/2 minutes per cup of noodles.
- Quickly and vigorously, mix contents in bowl with a spoon until cheese is melted and coats all of the noodles. You may need to scrape the sides of the bowls.
- ENJOY your macaroni and cheese.
Next time that
you’re craving your kids are begging for macaroni and cheese, give this recipe a try and let me know what you think in the comments!